Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Music Musings

Today was another one of those days that didn't lend itself to producing a tangible work of art, but I'm trying to do something creative every day. Or at least do something that will help me do something creative in the future.

I did quite a bit of driving today so that I could meet my estranged grandmother for lunch, do some errands, and visit my mother. I always listen to music when I drive. I listen to music whenever possible, especially when I am experiencing some sort of strong emotion, like the urge to be socially avoidant. For all the years I've aspired to be a musician, I've never really spent a lot of time thinking about the music I listen to. At best, I notice a change in key or time signature. Over the years, I've noticed I tend to like male musicians better than most female ones, with a few notable exceptions.

My list of favorite musicians/bands (at the moment)
  • The Black Angels
  • The Brian Jonestown Massacre
  • Flight
  • Warpaint* 
  • Cat Power*
  • Smashing Pumpkins (1990s era)
  • House of Fire
  • The Dandy Warhols
  • Mazzy Star*
  • The Magnetic Fields
  • Led Zeppelin
Only three of the ones I listed are female-fronted bands. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm not going to worry too much about my preferences. What I've decided to do is think about the compositional elements of the female-fronted bands that I like because, well, I'm a girl. I can't sing like a guy; I mean, I might be somewhere between an alto and a soprano. 

I found myself thinking about Cat Power while I was driving. Repetitive guitar parts, like the guitar could be on loop most of the time. Simple drums. Subtle bass. Sometimes there is a piano. Depressing-but-in-a-good-way lyrics.

I now spend significant portions of each day alone in my house, where I could play music without worrying that anyone can hear me. (It's really important that no one hears what I am doing until I'm satisfied with it. Only one or two of my friends have ever heard me perform.) I could even do some crappy demo-y recording of myself if I really wanted to, just to see what I really sound like. It's a start, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment