Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Twenty-seven Birthday Cakes

Okay, they're snack cakes. They're homemade Funny Bones, to be exact. My stepmom is from New Jersey, where she used to be able to eat these, but since she moved down south twenty years ago, they've been hard to come by. So for her birthday, my dad asked me to make some homemade ones for her. He found a copycat recipe here.

Relatives from New Jersey have sent us these cakes before, but I've only had one or two, so I'm not 100% sure what they're supposed to taste like. But chocolate cake, with peanut butter icing and a chocolate coating? They're probably delicious.

There's already a well-written blog entry that accompanies this recipe. It shows the process if you're interested. I don't want to rip off the original author by detailing my own process (which is pretty much the same as hers) here.

Here's how the cakes turned out...




And here's the part the other blog doesn't show you.


And yes, it was 3:27 AM before I finished the cakes. I started them around midnight, as I wanted her to have some for lunch today, but since they were a surprise, I had to wait until she went to sleep to start making them.

And they are delicious!


1 comment: